Facilitated by Bill McDorman and Lee-Ann Hill, the course has included many special guests and experts leading the local grain movement. Appropriate for adults and teens at all skill levels. The autonomous course allows you to work at your own pace with plenty of resources, readings, and videos to compliment each guest’s lecture.
To receive Financial Assistance, please fill out the Scholarship Form.
Grain School 101 is broken up into 8 Lessons, each one complete with a video lesson and supporting resources.
Each lesson will take about 2 hours.
1. Why Heritage Grains?
with Bill McDorman
2. Growing Heritage and Ancient Grains
with Ron Boyd and Evan Sofro
3. The Journey of Landrace Grains/Finding Your Grain
with Eli Rogosa and Sylvia Davatz
4. Grain Research and Breeding
with Emily Lockard from SWCRC and Richard Pratt
5. Heritage Grains Trials Project: Climate + Grains
with Lee-Ann Hill from Rocky Mountain Seed Alliance and Christine Salem and Diane Pratt from Rio Grande Grain
6. Alternative and Perennial Grains
with Lee Dehaan from the Land Institute
7. Revitalizing and Regionalizing the Grain Economy
with Michelle Ajamian from Rural Action and Shagbark Seed & Mill, and Dana and Chris from Mountain Oven Bakery
8. Keynote: Appreciating the Cultural History of Landrace Grains
with Glenn Roberts