WK2: Growing Heritage Grains

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      frances_craik
      Keymaster

Where do you live and what grains are currently being grown in your region?

Check out the USDA Wheat Classification Guide from 1922 and the resources located in WK1: Classification of Grains. What was being grown in 1922, or in the past 100 years, that isn’t being grown anymore? What has happened in the past 100 years that would lead to a decrease in grain diversity?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Renee Fourie.
      • This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Renee Fourie.
      • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by frances_craik.
      • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Renee Fourie.
      Renee Fourie
      Keymaster

I found an easy-to-use Directory at the Whole Grains Council. In Arizona, Hayden Mills works with several small grain farmers which grow Heritage Durum Semolina. Ramona Farms offers Sonora Wheat, Pima Club Wheat, and Corn. BKW Farms has Sonora Wheat and Khorasan Wheat. There was a history of growing Emmer, Red Fife, Black Nile and Tibetan Purple barley, Yellow Corn, Chickpeas, Hard Red Spring that I am seeing not being grown commercially.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Renee Fourie.
      Pamela Barosso
      Participant

I live in Pennsylvania and according to a USDA 2020 PA Agriculture report, the grain crops are: Corn, Wheat, Rye, Oats and Barley.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Quick_Stats/Ag_Overview/stateOverview.php?state=PENNSYLVANIA

Linda DeWitt
      Participant

I live in North Idaho, in a region known as the Palouse- one of the largest wheat growing regions in the country.  My grandfather farmed 100 acres, usually wheat and peas.  I now live on a section of the original farm.  The farmland was in CRP for awhile but is now being leased by a local farmer.  He has grown wheat, peas, and garbanzos.

I discovered that my grandfather grew mostly Jenkins Club wheat and I hope to research that further.  I have found some references in old USDA books and some old newspapers but no great detail.  I plan to speak to my uncle who is a long time wheat grower and also to the farmer who is currently growing here- I want to know what wheat variety he grows.  Stay tuned!!

Jen deHaan
      Participant

British Columbia, Canada.

The main crops are canola, wheat, barley and oats. Most are for export or livestock feed, and 80% is grown in one single area of our province (Peace River). Our wet climate is a major limiting factor (article).

Sidenote, I also know from locals that organic hay/straw is very difficult to come by due to our climate and growing limitations.

Historically these same crops were grown, but it doesn’t sound like on much scale due to the competition with the prairies.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.