Reply To: Adopt A Grain Project

Randy Olivier
Participant

What is the Latin name? the species name is Triticum aestivum
What is the chromosomal count? I am asking the farmer who introduced me.
What are the ideal growing conditions? It is a white, hard winter wheat.  Planted in August/September.  Cultivates June/July.  The field I saw it in is flat, close to a river (for irrigation), and surrounded partially by tree breaks (cutting down wind).  South Dakota can be 110 degrees F in the Summer and -30 degrees F in the Winter; so it seems to be a pretty hardy plant!
How is it pollinated?  Self
What is the breeding system?  Self
Any specific characteristics of the grain you have chosen.  8th generation.  Black hull.  My goal is to follow what I have learned in the Week 3 lessons – cull and save the largest seeds, replant, repeat for 3 years – and then see how the pounds per acre improves and if we get a new count on the protein, etc.  PLEASE HELP ME HERE IF I AM MISINTERPRETING SOMETHING HERE>

Not exactly ancient wheat, but currently grown by a farmer in Western South Dakota who also grows ancient wheat.

Date of Release:  1972

Developer and location:  Earl G Clark, Sedgwick, KS  – In  1912, fifteen-year-old Earl Clark of Kansas noticed a plant with unusual black wheat kernels.  He saved three of these seeds to replant.  The resulting “Blackhull” variety accounted for a third of the Kansas crop in the 1930s.  Clark developed other varieties including KanKing – also derived from seeds from a single plant crossed with Blackhull descendants.  Developed over eight generations, with lineage traced back to the original black seeds in 1912, Clark’s Cream was released in 1972.