October 15, 2021 at 4:00 pm #9232
Week 2 – Purple Valley Barley
- What is the Latin name? Hordeum vulgate
- What is the chromosomal count? 14, diploid
- What are the ideal growing conditions? This one is best sown in spring, it will grow in cool ground (cool season). Short season. Prefers dry, and full sun to partial shade.
- How is it pollinated? Self pollinated with some wind pollination
- What is the breeding system? Self pollination
- Any specific characteristics of the grain you have chosen. 6 row and less prone to lodging than other purple barley varieties.