Reply To: PRE-REQ/WK1: Introduce Yourself!

Lia Griesser
Participant

Howdy, my name is Lia Griesser and I currently live on the land of Isleta and Sandia Pueblo in the Middle Rio Grande basin in what is now known as Albuquerque, New Mexico. I’m a student at the University of New Mexico getting master’s degrees in Historic Preservation and Landscape Architecture. My primary interest is in the revitalization of traditional land management practices. I’m beginning my thesis this semester, which will look at the historic gristmills around the town of Mora and the potential for equitably revitalizing a local wheat economy in northern NM. However, I’m a total newbie when it comes to much of this topic. I picked something I wanted to learn more about, rather than something I already do.

I grew up in the Sonoran Desert of Tucson, AZ on O’odham and Yoeme land. I have a background in art, ethnobotany, community herbalism, and wild foods. I’ve never grown grain, but am interested in seed production and have worked harvesting wild seed for the Institute for Applied Ecology’s southwest office. I adore grasses.

This photo is from a trip I took today to Candelaria Nature Preserve which is being transitioned from commercial alfafa production to riparian avian habitat. The field was planted with 5 grain crops but teff and millet took over. This will be great food for birds, but will also help starve weedy species of light.

Very excited to begin this journey with you all and learn in a collective!