2021 Impact Report
In 2021, RMSA continued to embody the direction of always learning, flexibility, and evolving while continuing to pursue our mission. 2020 showed the world the deficiencies within the food system, a lack of food security, and the importance of connecting with others, while 2021 empowered many with the opportunity to refocus time and energy. Gardening became one of the most appreciated activities in 2021 and to reach the burgeoning gardener, RMSA understood how essential seed saving education was during this time.
We were busy in 2021:
- Hosted 2 live and fully online courses: Seed School Teacher Training in the spring and Grain School Online in the fall. Students participated from across the country, but this format additionally enabled a global student body of seed savers from Ireland, Bolivia, Greece, Puerto Rico, Australia, France, Norway, England, Canada, and India.
- Offered our first live online workshop: the Milling and Baking Bonanza, featuring 9 experts in the world of cooking and baking heritage grains.
- Collaborated with grain research partners to offer 3 in-person grain growing workshops: Southwestern Colorado Research Center (Yellow Jacket, CO), Zephyros Farm & Garden (Paonia, CO), and King’s Crown Organic Farm (King Hill, ID).
- Joined with Prescott Seed Library and Slow Food Prescott to offer a 2-part presentation series on seed saving education.
- Hosted 2 in-person education events: Grain School in a Day and Seed School in a Day (Mancos, CO).
- Added 205 seed education graduates.
- Increased Seed Stewards by 5.14% to a total membership of 532.
- Concluded the Heritage Grain Trials program after 6 years, enlisting the support of 152 heritage grain growers to offer citizen science of 250 ancient and heritage grains. The Heritage Grains Manual will be available in the 2nd half of 2022.
- Funded 14 well-deserving seed and community programs through the Micro-Grant Program.
We are making an impact together – and our work has never been more important!
Consider making a donation to RMSA. Like a tiny seed, your contribution will make a powerful difference in the lives of generations to come.